Thursday, September 2, 2010

Mr. C and me

There is something about a cup ‘o joe that just makes me feel so good. I don’t just drink coffee to wake me up, although that is a main component; I actually really enjoy the taste. I was raised in house full of coffee drinkers. In high school, I started hanging out in coffee houses to be cool. I don’t know if I was part of the in crowd, but I was always really hyper.


My college had a Starbucks in the student union building. I passed the famous chain every day, sometimes numerous times a day and resisted the best I could. Money was in short supply, so I had to make good choices about what I spent my moola on. I knew my dad would catch on if I kept calling and asking for money to support my caffeine habit. He would see through the 100th “I need more cash to buy books, calculators and pencils for test taking,” conversation.


Now that I’m older, I still have to be resourceful with my money. Unfortunately, I drive by a Starbucks every day to work. They continue to tempt me! And I still have an infatuation with everything coffee.

I try to avoid stopping there every day and make it a special treat. For the past couple of months, I swing by there at the end of the week for ‘latte Friday,’ that is the official name that I gave it. Now, due to a recent purchase, I might be making even less stops by ‘bucks. As hard as it is to imagine, I have never owned a coffee maker. My roommate and best friend in college didn’t drink it and now my permanent roomie, Parish, won’t touch it with a 20-foot pole. Who wants to make coffee for one person? It’s like cooking for one – no fun.


During the weekends, my body craves the stuff and I usually end up you know where or grabbing anything that resembles it a nearby gas station. That is why I decided to go ahead and buy a machine already. Last week, I went to Target and to my amazement, found the cutest little four-cup coffee maker. It was love at first sight. He, my new maker, has the most stout glass decanter that you have ever seen. It is also programmable and I’m able to delay the start time. Now, the best part, he was on sale. I found him on the bottle shelf for $16.99. He was originally $19.99, but it was my lucky day. I picked him up, cradled him in my arms and told him about all the fun we would have together.


Then I picked up some of the most adorable coffee filters. They are just the cutest. I almost left the store without the most important ingredient – coffee. After standing in the coffee and tea aisle for a good 15 minutes, I selected a hazelnut bag and headed out. I felt on top of the world. The following morning, Mr. C made a great cup of joe and it cost me about a dime. Being resourceful tastes good, right to very last drop.

No comments: